Sunday, February 21, 2010

Maria Callas Is My Soulmate

I'm lucky to have one of those jobs that lists "getting inspired" as part of the job description, and occasionally I just hand an entire day over to the idea of inspiration. Friday was one of those days.

My friend Christopher prepared an agenda of 25 inspiring places to visit, starting with the San Francisco Flower Market, and ending with a warehouse full of french antiques that used rickety old shelving as it's only merchandising technique. In between there were approximately 25 other visits around the city of San Francisco. As Christopher, Pallavi and I traipsed across the city and back (and then back again) we saw beautiful things, met interesting people, and ate delicious food (like the cappuccino and apricot/anise donut at Four Barrel that got our day started).
























As I search for ideas that I can apply to my daily work, I always keep a corner of my mind open for ideas that I can apply to my home, or things my family would like. Friday was a good day for that. For example:

















Start your day with flowers if you can. It makes everyone happy.


















Even the most utilitarian corner of your house can be beautiful. I've never seen packets of Equal look so pretty.























If it's meaningful to you and your family, it's art.


















Everyone works better after taking a break for some ice cream.


















Remember and share the stories of the things in your house. These guys could have talked for hours about each of the products in their shop. That's one of the big differences between visiting a chain store and visiting a small privately owned store. And it's one of the big differences between a model home and a warm and comfortable family home that's been built over a lifetime.

















Old and beat up is OK. Just like with people, the richness of life experience can show in the things you choose for your home. My red leather chairs aren't worn out, they're wise and experienced.













If you've got a skill or talent in your family's history, keep it alive. One store we visited, The Parish Trust, dedicates its existence to collecting and curating antiques from dead and dying industries. The store was a treasure trove of manual typewriters, vintage cameras, and other items my children might not even recognize in twenty years.

And last, in case I or anyone in my house has forgotten:

Print this post

1 comments:

Dad aka Gramps said...

The ice cream, I just gotta have some of that ice cream. You must take me there when mom and I visit in May.

Chain store vs small business....model home vs any house made into a home....made me think of our home in Seattle. A hundred years old, rich in character and charm, and mom made it warm, so warm. So many people mentioned how comfy the home felt when walking in the front door. A house is not a home, a house is just bricks and sticks. A home is what you make it, fill it with love, warmth, comfyness.

So old and beatup is acceptable. Glad to hear that. It means I can visit you for many more years in the future. I am aging and worn, approaching old and beat up. But you won't mind atall.

Ahhhh. Maria Callas sounds like me when visiting you. I know you have rules for your home and children but I do not believe they apply to me. I like Maria Callas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...