Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Occasion and Gift Posts

Party Time!

2009 has been a big year at the Furber house for parties. Birthday parties, end of the year parties, study parties, sleepovers. You name it, we've hosted it this year...
Click here to read more

Happy Birthday Jack
Friday was Jack's 12th birthday and we have reached a new phase of acquisition in the Furber house. We've transitioned from birthday gifts that are big and hard to store (think bikes, razors, train sets) to birthday gifts that are small and hard to keep track of (a green cell phone, a set of SkullCandy headphones, and a Larry Bird Celtics jersey.)...
Click here to read more

Five Boys or 50 Boys. Same Thing
I've always prided myself in having a house that goes back together very quickly after a party. My husband and I have a place for everything, and very easy care surfaces and materials in all the rooms. We usually can clean up in about 20 minutes after all our guests leave, even the 13 and under set.

However, we threw a party last night that presented new and interesting cleanup challenges -- some that we're still scratching our heads over...
Click here to read more

Cupcakes for 40
Slightly off my usual topic of interior design for people with kids, but the subject of baking for a small army is very topical at the Furber house lately, as I have three kids with birthdays all clumped together...
Click here to read more

Burlap. Who Knew?
I'm trying to get into the Christmas spirit, but somehow it's late in coming this year. Don't get me wrong -- I'm happy and joyful -- just not feeling like doing the the all out shopping, decorating or wrapping yet...
Click here to read more

I Need a Birthday Present, Stat!
It seems like someone's always having a birthday or a baby. That presents two challenges: coming up with a present and wrapping it...
Click here to read more

Pass it On
It's coming upon the gift giving season. Mother's Day, Father's Day, graduations and weddings loom and each beg for the perfectly selected gift...
Click here to read more

Why Wait for Someone to Send You Flowers?
Like most women, I love flowers. Like most women with a house, a husband, a job, and three kids, I don't have time to spend arranging them...
Click here to read more

Hostess Gifts Everyone Loves
My Mom taught me never to show up at someone's house empty handed. Most of the year that's not a problem, since we don't go anywhere...
Click here to read more

Save the Ghosts by Guest Blogger Jack Furber
My Mom's right. I don't like change at all. When she moves stuff around the house, I always put it back. When she throws stuff away, I get it back out (don't ask.) All this talk about changing the candles on the kitchen table makes me feel sick...
Click here to read more

T Minus Six Weeks to Halloween. Time to Decorate!
Because I'm in the mail order business, I tend to start shopping and planning early for holidays. Halloween is still six weeks away, but feels like it's right around the corner to me...
Click here to read more

School of Mom
In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd do a few more posts on the subject. My Mom, for example. She was ahead of her time in lots of ways, and much more mellow than I realized when I was young and living in her house...
Click here to read more

Happy Mother's Day
I've noticed that many of the articles I read about what to do for your Mom on Mother's Day have to do with cleaning the house:
Pick up your toys
Clean your room
Make breakfast for Mom and then do the dishes...
Click here to read more

There Is a Method to My Madness
In spite of all evidence to the contrary, there is a system of organization that holds the Furber house together, and it's about to be put to the ultimate test. We're looking forward to the arrival of eleven relatives for Thanksgiving. During the week of November 23rd, the occupancy of my house will range anywhere from 0 to 16 people, depending on time and day...
Click here to read more

Is It November Already?
Halloween is over, and now the freight train of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's starts rolling. Most of my girlfriends are appalled to see Christmas in the stores before Thanksgiving is even here.
Click here to read more

Print this post

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...