Tuesday, May 12, 2009

School of Mom

In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd do a few more posts on the subject. My Mom, for example. She was ahead of her time in lots of ways, and much more mellow than I realized when I was young and living in her house.

Mom, thanks for teaching me some valuable lessons that I use today in my house:
Let the kids use the good china, silver and crystal. What's the fun of having that stuff if you don't use it?


Life's too short to use paper napkins


Anything can be a decorative object. I'll never forget the wall of baskets in the kitchen -- and that you actually used them.


If the kids paint the walls in the garage while you're out for the evening, don't freak out. It's only the garage.


Let the kids redecorate their own rooms. I spent many Saturday afternoons moving furniture around in my room, moving things from other rooms in the house into my room, and then evaluating the results. Good practice for my chosen profession.

Casual is cool. While my friends' Moms had very fancy living rooms and dining rooms, we never did. We used every room in our house.

Now that I have a house of my own, I am just like my Mom. Casual, pretty mellow, and willing to bust out the champagne flutes on a Saturday morning if that will make my kids smile.

Love you Mom.

Print this post

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you too.........being you and your sister's mom is the greatest gift I ever received.

xoxoxoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...