Sunday, May 17, 2009

Home Gym - 2009 Edition

When I was in high school, I thought I'd be an architect when I grew up. In my art classes I drew many versions of my dream house, and even designed architectural plans and built a model for my dream house as my Senior AP Art final project. In the early design stages, my dream house always included a workout room. As I've mentioned many times in Suburban Zen, my Mom was ahead of her time, and we had a stationary bike in our basement in the 80's. I rode that bike every night, and a workout room filled with equipment seemed like the ultimate luxury to me.

Now that I am actually grown up, and can buy and furnish my dream house, we don't have a workout room, but we do have some pretty fancy equipment:

A pair of Pumas that I use to walk to the donut store most Sunday mornings with Katie.
A bike that I ride around the neighborhood, to the middle school, to the Farmer's Market, or to Lawrence's for a cheeseburger on a weekend afternoon.
A large dog that I chase around the coffee table when he steals the pillows off my sofa.
Same large dog that pulls JP around the neighborhood, simultaneously strengthening his arms and improving his cardiovascular health.
A 40 pound five year old child who still likes to be picked up occasionally.
A swimming pool in the backyard that's mostly used for floating, but now and then used for swimming laps.
A basketball hoop, two skateboards and a scooter that keep Jack as physically fit as IronMan.

No one room to keep it all in, as all the rooms are filled with children. That wasn't part of my plan when I was in high school planning my dream house, but our 2009 version of the home gym works just fine.

Print this post

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...