Sunday, March 7, 2010

Everyone Can Use a Little Luck

I recently asked some Suburban Zen readers a simple question: "What's Your Secret?" My intention was to learn what people like me do to keep the level of contentment high, and the level of stress low in their homes. I was surprised that all the responses were very similar, and all credited a positive attitude and joie de vivre as their secret. (Except the one reader who said her secret was that she kissed her husband's best friend the night before her wedding. I don't judge, but that's not really what I meant.)

I'm with you readers: I'm also a huge fan of the power of positive thinking, in fact that's what helps me turn a blind eye to the mess in my family room most weekends. I'm also a big fan of good luck charms. I like the symbolism they represent for our children: you make your own luck, but a little extra help can't hurt.

My favorite good luck charm in the Furber house is our money tree.


Chinese legend is that a money tree can bring money and fortune to its owners and is a symbol of affluence, nobility and auspiciousness. I don't know about that so much, but I do know that JP and I bought a money tree seven years ago and sold our house the next day. Since that day, we've been convinced that the money tree is one of the things standing between us and destitution, so we tend the tree very carefully and get a little nervous when a leaf or two falls off.

Even the kids have adopted our superstition. They're very careful not to disturb the money tree and often will give us advice on how to tend it. A few weeks ago Jack was doing what Jack does sometimes (flailing around crashing into things) and he knocked over the money tree and broke its pot. The Furber family swung into action as if my wedding ring had been flushed down the toilet, and now the money tree is enjoying its new home in a much bigger pot. And wouldn't you know, right after that happened I came into a little unexpected money. Hmmm.

Print this post

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OKAY...HERE IS MY SECRET.....

I HAVE A JUNK DRAWER IN EVERY ROOM ON THE HOUSE EXCEPT THE PANTRY!!!!!

LOVE,
CLEAN SWEEPER

dad aka gramps said...

Hmmmmmmmm good luck charms and money trees. Fun things to do. But I bet God has a hand in the action as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...