Sunday, April 11, 2010

Like a Fresh Coat of Lipstick for My House

We're planning to paint our house this summer, so I'm deep in the research phase of choosing the right colors. I recently asked some readers their opinion on my plan to paint my front door red. The response was overwhelmingly "yes!" Lisa Holmes mentioned that a red front door is supposed to bring prosperity to the house. Kamille Caple mentioned that studies show houses with red doors sell faster. In addition to the enthusiastic thumbs up I received from readers, I read somewhere that in China, it's tradition to paint the front door red before the new year, to invite good luck and happiness. And then the kicker was this endorsement from Suzanne Tucker in a House Beautiful article "The Best Colors for your Front Door:


"I wanted to draw people to the door like bees to a flower, and this luscious red did the trick. The color has such clarity. It's like the most kissable lips. It's like the best manicure you've ever had."

How can I resist? Red it is.

I'm partial to Benjamin Moore's Aura line of exterior paint because it's low VOC, they have beautiful colors, and the paint is easy to apply. I'm also partial to Benjamin Moore because they have an iPhone app that allows me to take a picture of something that's the perfect shade of red, then it will recommend the closest paint color to match that item.

Now I'm off to find a beautiful manicure or some kissable lips. Whichever I encounter first.



Print this post

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...