Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Bought My House for the Bathtub

The bathtub is one of the best features of my house. It's big, it has jets, and it's got a pretty window over it. It not only functions to clean my children, but also sometimes as a hot tub, or as a library. Sometimes it functions as a holding pen. I was discussing with my friend Janet yesterday how useful a big bathtub can be when your house is full of kids -- yours or others. Just fill it up with some nice, warm and bubbly water, pull up a chair and a magazine and relax for at least an hour.

To truly make my bathtub a draw for my kids, I have a few tricks:
I keep a natural sea sponge filled with smelly, fruity soap by the bathtub. I especially like the soap from Humaine Made . They have so many great fragrances that kids love, they look pretty, and they last forever. Unlike the soap in the shower, my son Jack actually cleans himself with the soap I keep by the bathtub.

My husband and I collect tiny bottles of shampoo from the various hotels we visit and keep them by the bathtub. The bottles are plastic, so they don't break, and the kids love the novelty of all the different bottles. When we're not travelling much, I buy little bottles from Philosophy. They smell delish, and look great.

We keep big beach towels in the bathroom. They serve multiple purposes: making a sidewalk for our soapy kids from the bathtub to the shower, soaking up sudsy water, and best of all, wrapping up warm and clean kids after the bath. Organic Style has a great organic beach towel that works perfectly.

The best part of making the bathtub an attraction for the kids is that, after a good bath, they're warm, clean and quiet, and all I have to do is sit in the big chair in the bedroom and I'm guaranteed at least one kid on my lap until bedtime. That alone is worth the price of the house.

Print this post

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

let me know if you ever figure out how to wrap individual pages of sports illustrated so I can read it while lounging on a floaty in the pool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...