Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thank You Uncle Sam

In the midst of all the depressing financial reports, JP and I received some great news from our accountant: we're getting a rather big tax refund.

Glory Hallelujah, we can finally replace the carpet in the bedrooms! That carpet has seen us through many Furber family events: it was here when we brought Katie home from the hospital, it has been with us through hundreds of Friday movie nights, it has been spilled on, barfed on, and walked on with muddy shoes. Thanks for the memories, but good riddance.

The research now starts on what to replace it with that will look great and be durable enough to handle three kids, a dog with the occasional bout of incontinence, and Jack's bare feet after he spends hours in the driveway shooting hoops with no shoes on.

I've ruled out broadloom carpet because that's what I have now and it's a mess, Berber because Jasper will no doubt pull the loops out with his teeth or toenails, and hardwood because we don't have radiant heat in the bedrooms so the floors get cold. I've narrowed it down to three choices that are all sustainable, durable, stain resistant and in keeping with the general wabi-sabiness of my house:

FLOR tiles



Seagrass Wall to Wall



Cork Flooring


All three will look great in my house and will stand up to all the abuse that my family will inflict upon the flooring once it's installed. And all three will be immensely better than the yucky mess that's in my bedrooms now. That's one family heirloom I'll be glad to be rid of.

I'm leaning heavily toward seagrass, as it will look the best with our decor. I'll be standing watch at the mailbox with cell phone in hand, ready to dial Diablo Flooring the minute our refund arrives.

Print this post

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...