Saturday, January 24, 2009

Now You Know, I Carry a Purse by Guest Blogger Laurie's Dad

My wonderful daughter invited me to guest blog. I thought I could write about my garage which is a standard garage in terms of design but not in terms of use. But instead she has asked I write something about living through recessions. She seems to think I have lived through a few……….ye gads, I am not that old.

During challenging financial times it is always good to buy only what you need; not what you want. Now think about your needs carefully. You may think you need something when in fact you only want it but have convinced yourself you need it. An easier way to think about this is to stop all impulse buying. You will save tons of money. When Laurie was young we implemented that rule during tough times but trips to the Dairy Queen were always an absolute need !

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow? Garden is the key word folks. I recall a time in the 70’s when we rented a tiller and plowed up a large section of our Colorado back yard. We planted all kinds of fun foods to save money and eat healthy. All went well until the sunflower plants ripened and attracted every kind of living bird within a 70 mile radius. The neighbors were not pleased.

Nothing beats a family trip to the local theater to see something on the big screen. There are ways to cut costs here too. Go to the first showing of the day, always a lower price. Even some days of the week have discount evening showings. Skip the candy counter but do stop at the popcorn stand. Get one and only one bag of popcorn…….the biggest popcorn in the house, the bag or tub with the free refill. Take it to your seat, take out the paper coffee filters in your purse, fill one filter per person with popcorn and voila, popcorn for all. When the purchased tub or bag is empty, go get your free refill and do it all over again. Easy, fun and keeps all those hands out of the popcorn tub too.

This was fun. Thanks sweetie for inviting to use your space to ramble. I love you lots, dad.

Print this post

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...