Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Trend I've Been Waiting For

When I was in college, my mom started a collection of teacups for my sister and me, and for herself. For each significant holiday, she would pick out a pattern she liked and buy a teacup for each of us. With that collection, and the teacups that have been added over the years by friends and other family members, I now have an eclectic collection of about 20 beautiful teacups and saucers. I love the collection because it's pretty, it's useful, and it reminds me of both my mom and my sister. As my house started to fill up with kids and pets, though, the collection has been tucked away for a few years for safekeeping.


Lately I've noticed a resurgent interest in vintage china in the design world and in restaurants. I've seen china patterns mounted on walls in design magazines


and in restaurants
I've seen teacups used in creative ways to store and display jewelry

And I've been served in restaurants on beautiful vintage china pieces. My favorite example was a restaurant that used both heavy, white restaurant quality porcelain plates, and dainty little china saucers in the same place setting.
This resurgence in everyday use of fine china appeals to me because I believe beautiful things are meant to be used and appreciated. Also because my children are now old enough that I can get my collection out and use it with very little risk.

I've made some tentative moves in the direction of integrating my collection of teacups into my kitchen, starting with the most conventional use:
It was fun to serve tea to the girls on the first night of school, discuss their days, and tell them the story of each of the cups they were using, when I received it and from whom.

Word to JP: this does not mean those beer steins you collected on your high school voyage to Germany are coming out next.

Print this post

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...