Sunday, February 22, 2009

New Paint or Mittens in the House?

JP's and my first house was the typical starter house with the cheapest, non-washable paint in existence. We learned quickly that the washability of interior paint is as important as the color. Maybe more important.

Little did I know that the abuse a newly married couple can inflict on painted walls is nothing compared to that of three kids and a dog. For as long as I've had children and pets in my house, I've had fingerprints on my walls. Sometimes footprints. At a glance, my children appear to be very clean. Katie and Jack both love water, and Andie seems to shower about three times a day. However, from looking at my walls you might think they never bathe at all. And Jasper seems to pace up and down the hall, rubbing himself along the wall as he goes.

There are many paints on the market that are low VOC (see post "where can I get a cute gas mask that goes with my decor?" 6/4/08) and many paints that are washable. Finding a paint that's both is the challenge. Benjamin Moore's Aura Line is my favorite paint that does both. This video shows how Aura stands up to the standard abuse inflicted by children, demonstrated by the video host's 2 year old daughter Emma. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.


Now, if anyone has any useful advice for me on how to keep my floors clean, I'm all ears.

Print this post

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lovely daughter and her mother (aka my lovely wife) think so much alike. BM's Aura is my wife's current favorite paint as well. We have had splotches all over a wall for several weeks, a decision will be made soon I hope. Benjamin Moore is making a killing selling these tiny, little, microscopic size jars of paint samples. I coulda painted a whole house for what I have sunk into these spit size jars. Even the urine sample bottles in the doctors office are larger. Oh well, like mother, like daughter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...