Saturday, February 21, 2009

Design Trends I'm Happy to See Emerging from the Recession

As much as my job requires me to embrace capitalism, I've always struggled with the blind desire for acquisition that seems to have defined the last 20 years or so. The current recession carries with it a lot of baggage, but there are a few good things that will come out of it for the design world:

A Return to Tradition
I am happy to see that some very traditional silhouettes are returning to popularity. Especially the recent renaissance of Federal Style in both architecture and furniture



The style, which first came into popularity after the American Revolution, drew many elements from the Greek and Roman empires after which the American government was modeled. Many houses on Main Street, America are designed in the Federal Style. In fact, my husband was raised in a Federal Style house that his parents owned for 30 years. I just love a design trend that carries a history lesson with it -- any opportunity to trick my children into learning something.

The New Family Heirloom
The concept of integrating hand-me-downs from the family is returning to popularity. Rather than filling an entire house with brand new furniture, people are getting to know their local upholstery or finish craftsmen and breathing new life into old pieces. StudioBonTextiles is a great website filled with upholstery fabrics designed specifically for recovering vintage pieces.

It's not cheap, but if you're going to invest, vintage pieces handed down through the family is a good place to do it. And those vintage pieces are a great way to keep family folklore alive. My sister is a master at integrating family pieces into her house, and a compliment about the furniture piece always leads to an interesting family story.

The Return of the Kitchen as the Heart of the Home
Focus in the last 20 years has been on rooms that are more for show than function -- the formal living room, the foyer, the formal dining room. As money and possessions become an increasing source of stress, family, friends and relationships become an increasing source of comfort. As a result, many families are returning to that great American Norman Rockwell tradition of gathering around the table at the end of the day. The meal itself is a small part of the Family Dinner -- there's also the ritual of preparation, the natural tendency of everyone to pitch in and help, the easy conversation that happens around the table, and of course, the little opportunities for etiquette lessons throughout the meal. I, for one, am happy to see the family dinner make a comeback, to see the kitchen regain it's rightful place as the hub of the family home.


While there is plenty of stress that goes along with a global recession, I think the family home will be better off for it. More tradition, a renewed respect for family history, more time together.

Print this post

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhh, finally something my lovely daughter and I fully agree on and that is this blind desire for acquisition society we live in. Laurie's mom and I grew up in an environment where we were taught that once you purchased something you took care of it and made it last for as long as possible, no matter what it was or how much or how little it cost. Today it seems there is little to no regard for material things. It appears that material things are treated as throw aways. Well, if you like throwing away money then have at it but sheesh, don't blame the recession for your troubles. Nice job wonderful daughter. Now about that Saab you drove into the dirt..............dad

Anonymous said...

No advice about floor cleaning here. That's dad's job. Many years ago, he made the mistake of critcizing my sweeping, so I gave the job to him and I have never regretted it. He is right; he is a better sweeper than me. Now if I could only get him to criticize my toilet cleaning.

I agree with your comments on BJ's Aura paint. Right now we have spots of Buttered Yam on the office wall to see how we like it. Another nice thing about this paint is you can generally buy a sample and test out the color before you invest in a large amount.

Cheers
Clean Sweeper

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...